Sunday, October 21, 2012

Job Hunting: Persistence versus Rudeness?

I'll get to the convention write up soon, but I had to get this off my chest!

BioWare was hosting a Portfolio Look-see at their booth. Both my wife and I came prepared and, even though we were in costume, we made sure we found ourselves the right table and formed a line since the main gentleman they told us to talk to (Niel Thompson - Art and Animation Director at BioWare) was just wrapping up a panel. Of course we wait patiently, the first ones there (my wife was number one, actually)
The folks file in and take their places... we're still waiting for the go ahead to start talking- it's only the polite thing to do, yes? We were first, we'll get our turn.

... And then this guy just... pushes his way in ahead of us, and my wife.

It was just plain rude. My wife and I weren't the only ones in line, it was clear where it was- and he just pushed ahead. 
Now, I'm no stranger to the concept of persistence in this field of work. They honed that in wherever I went - This is a competitive industry, do what you can to get noticed. Got it. Check.

However, I would hope that doesn't mean you have permission to figuratively (or literally?) step on people along the way.

As well as this habit of people talking over one another. A lot of times it's hard to get a word in because people are just shouting, it seems, over each other. It just seems rude (and awkward, a lot of the time) to try and shout in when you're trying to introduce yourself. 

 So, I'm not sure where, ladies and gentleman. Am I taking this wrong? Do I just need to get a thicker hide and dive in headfirst and follow suit with these guys that just force their way in? Or is there some sort of balance I can achieve? Comments much appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. You are right to be pissed, but unfortunately you can't do anything about those kind of people. Next time it happens say something to the people in charge of the line, let they know and that it's not right to let that happen.

    ReplyDelete